Sunday, August 21, 2016

What have I done with my 2016?

Adulthood hit me hard.

It hit me really hard.

It's that kind of fighter that starts by giving you a direct punch that catches you unaware - sending you across the fighting ring and onto the floor - and then continues to bash you badly even though you have admitted defeat.

Yes. That feeling.

Since I started my hiatus in September 2015, I went about the matters in my real life in much peace, knowing that I can focus on them, anticipating my time to write once those things were done.

Then, I "ended" my hiatus in February...

What happened?

Lots.

I thought I was prepared for life after marriage, but I guess I still overestimated it despite my mental preparation. I went through a lot of transition. A change of lifestyle, a change of church, a change of workload in my career, a change of many priorities, to be honest. Before you jump in and say things like, "Follow your passion!"... Work is work, but it is meaningful and it's something that I enjoy. It is something that I'm passionate about.

I have stopped a couple of things that I used to do before when I was single. I realised that my life (no joke) has to accomodate the schedule and life of another person. While that in itself is a joy, it all but strips away any time to write. The previous strategies of writing early in the morning no longer work for me.

Frustrating. I feel frustrated at how "well" I'm coping with my new life.

Am I writing? Not really, I'll be frank. Since my last update on "The Only Exception", I've written probably about 500 words. Nothing to be proud of. Let's not forget that my best friend, the writer's block, is still lingering around me. Plus, adulthood tugging at my heart, telling me to put fanfiction down for more urgent, more pressing... more... important... things.

Is this a path that everyone goes down eventually? Can't I write a proper story without worrying about compromising my work, family and spiritual life? And by the way, not that it has happened, but we have not even talked about the number one time-consuming commitment in any adult - CHILDREN.

When can I ever strike a balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment