Monday, June 29, 2015

Publishing is not a distant dream anymore

Recently, I’ve noticed that there was an increase in local publishers in Singapore. More and more Singaporean authors are stepping out to write for the younger audience. I think that is great, and it makes me excited knowing that the entry to the market is wider and that my little dream of being published someday might actually come true.

So for the last two weeks, when I am not reading or writing fanfiction, I think about original stories. I am tempted to rewrite my older stories. I had old plot bunnies that were unfinished, but I am not sure if that was the direction that I wanted to go along.

A part of me is afraid. Afraid of what the real editors and publishers might think of my stories if I show them what I had done before. I am going to be honest here – I think that my stories have some kind of standard. Sure, it’s not J.K Rowling nor Neil Gaiman, but I enjoyed reading my stories. What if that had just been my rosy picture? What if the editors didn’t like it, and that was the best that I could do?

The thought of that cripples me sometimes. Sometimes, I wonder if the one thing that I thought I can do decently is not quite my calling or talent.


Alas, fear never pushes the man forward.

1 comment:

  1. I dunno if you'll see this, but I really hope that you get published!! I would love to pick up a novel by you :D I guess the best you can do is to write and submit it just to see what happens. You'll never know unless you submit something!

    Again, do you have a skype or email we can get in touch with? I would love to talk to you again ^_^ Just message me on Fanfiction.net until then :P

    Or if it helps, my skype is luckcharm15.

    ReplyDelete