Friday, June 19, 2015

Throne of Glass and rants

No, I'm not writing to complain about Throne of Glass. I've mentioned in my review that I absolutely adore the book. Yes, the reviews were spiralling in their dislike for Celaena Sardothien. I noticed and see where they were coming from. Yeah, Celaena was bordering on being an annoying Mary-Sue. But I love her, there's nothing I can do about that.

I reread Throne of Glass and over the next three days, sped through the two books thereafter, "Crown of Midnight" and "Heir of Fire"... until the last 150 pages of "Heir of Fire". I was apprehensive how the ending would be. I mean, at the last 150 pages, the story was not picking itself up yet.

Also, I was not ready for the story to really end. Readers of the series would know that the story turned for the darker in the middle of "Crown of Midnight" and I was afraid that the story would not end up the way I wanted. My hopes were dashed by quite a number of books (and manga) before... I certainly hoped that "Throne of Glass" would not join them. So I left the book there for another day or two... until I finally told myself to finish it or else I may forget the story altogether.

Then I realised. There will be a fourth book.

To be honest, the first reaction was "What nonsense!"

I was all prepared for an ending to find that the book was not at its end. I wish that there would be some indication as to whether the book has ended or not.

Then in hindsight, "Phew! Thank goodness she didn't wrap up the entire ending in a measly 50 pages!" That kind of ending would have sucked. Big time.

Back to my rant, that's the problem with series. It's difficult to know which book to read first. The authors publish books as though readers will always pick them up the minute they hit the racks. How are readers going to find out which book came first and how would readers know whether the books is really the last book? 'Cause I truly believed that "Heir of Fire" was the last book in the series. Can you imagine if I threw all twenty-two "Legend of Drizzt" books at you for you to figure out the order?

Actually, I wouldn't be so upset if not for the fact that the last book of "Throne of Glass" would only be available on the 1st of September. Golly, and how long would that be before the book comes to Singapore?

Patience, patience.

I'm awaiting "Queen of Darkness" very eagerly now.

And as a side note, fangirling over Chaol Westfall so hard that I almost sacrificed my free time to reread "Crown of Midnight". Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment