Monday, April 9, 2012

Movie Review (4): Mirror, Mirror

Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who's the fairest of them all?


Yep, I absolutely loved the trailer when I first saw it.

Narrator: Once upon a time, in an enchanted kingdom, there was a beautiful princess. With skin as white as snow and hair as black as night.

Step-Queen: Blah blah blah. Her hair is not black, it's raven and she's 18 years old and her skin has never seen the sun so of course it's good.

Arghh love how Julia Roberts pushes the stigma aside!

Anyway, this is a remake/revamp of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. There are many twists and changes to the Disney one but I thought it was good. So... it IS a child's movie, with lovely and innocent elements. I wish I can give you an in-depth criticism but I watched the movie wanting to enjoy it so many things went unnoticed.

Generally, it's a light-hearted and enjoyable movie suitable for all ages. The evil queen is not THAT evil and the... ah, I shan't spoil the movie :) Albeit some eyebrow-raising moments, I enjoyed the movie.

Besides, how can you NOT fall in love with a face like this?


I swear, her eyebrows can go twice the thickness and she'll probably still look beautiful. She does fit the Snow White role nicely :) But anyway, just my opinion.

Back to the plot. Standard remakes with new twists. Example, the prince meets the dwarves first, not Snow White. Kinda typical of what we fanfiction writers are already doing anyway. I didn't pay too much attention to plot loopholes so nothing much about that... However, generally, I thought that the rewrite was quite interesting. it's your typical 'step-mother takes over the poor girl's life until she met prince charming' but... different :)

I do like the costumes. it's so extravagant and colourful. and the setting and decorum of the set... there're plenty of things to describe. If you're looking for interesting costumes to work your description on, maybe you can look at this movie. It's not the typical Victorian gowns. :) Even Snow White's wedding dress was not white, but blue and orange :D

The humour endorsed is simple, children-friendly humour. People falling and getting into trouble for the stupidest things (that children will enjoy). Witty comments and dry humour? Nah. Zilch. :)

Could I just say that... their ending song is just... inappropriate. *poker face* I don't even know how to explain it.

Gah, I feel so crappy for posting this redundant post :X

Disclaimer: movie afterthought is not an in-depth review. opinions given are made in the context of writing a fiction story.

No comments:

Post a Comment