Sunday, April 1, 2012

expanding my reading preferences?

So. A while back, I thought of wanting to expand my reading selection and thought of reading thrillers. the boyfriend recommended thriller-horror author John Saul and I thought I could give it a try.

I've never liked reading anything past teen fantasy. Just by looking at my bookcase, you'll know what kind of (immature) reader I am:

Eragon series
Harry Potter series
Poison Study series
Twilight series (yeah, I poke fun of it, but yes, I do own one set.)
The Complete Tales of Grimm Brothers (did I tell you how much i adore fairytales?)
The Novice (and its two other books whose names I forgot)
Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen

In their defense, some of them have really mind-blowing stories, but they are for teens! and they are magic-ky. That's how I describe it to my friends. Magic-ky = magic is existent in the world.

So, as much as I want to show some depth in my character, I don't read non-fiction such as biographies and memoirs. Neither do I venture into other genres like horror and action. As such, I got to admit, my vocabulary is pretty limited. It's time to venture.

Maybe starting with John Saul might be good. Anyone has suggestions?

In other news, I haven't been using my word of the moment "reticent" often enough. I better get used to that word before I hunt for a new word.

3 comments:

  1. Yoz, Christina, I found your blog!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and indeed you did! But I haven't been reading your blog! work is crazy X_X

      Delete
  2. Oh ok2.
    For me, I read your fanfiction whenever I need some entertainment in the midst of work.
    Sometimes Stomp and Straitstimes news can be so boring :P

    ReplyDelete