Saturday, August 11, 2012

My newest project is not writing but researching?

Remember that little rant about a raunchy book that was 50 Shades of Grey?

It has been running around in my head, plus along with many other things that made me wonder just how popular and badly written is this thing?

Shortly after that rant, I kinda found someone who gave me new insight. She was one of my church friends, who went to the UK to study Literature. She comes back to Singapore during her holidays and that's when my friends and I meet her.

Sidetrack: Honestly, I don't know her well. I believe I've only talked to her... twice? Four times tops. I couldn't find anything that we had in common. That was then. Over the last time that I saw her, we ended up sitting across each other during dinner and that was when I first found out (or perhaps I knew beforehand but forgot about it) that she was a Literature major in university. So we talked about simple things like our Literature books during our JC (high school equivalent) days, turns out that we read the same books for our 'A' levels. Then that was when we talked. And talked. Obviously I was joyous to finally find someone who loves reading, perhaps more than I. She was returning to UK to take her Masters in Literature, where she'll examine contemporary literature and analyse. I mean, you go to school and you analyse 'The Hunger Games' for your Masters? Awesome XD (then again, she didn't find that series fantastic so my joy is not shared here XD)

Okay, I'm coming to the main point. We talked about '50 Shades of Grey' and I asked for her opinions for what constitutes 'bad writing'. One of the things she mentioned was the sheer number of cliches used.

And I thought: Huh.

So basically, I too, started analysing my own fic and wonder if I had been using too many cliches. I believe I did, heheh. All that wondering finally made me come down to this new project that I am thinking of embarking.

I call it the 'Unfolding' Series. I merely want to go around collecting all sorts of information that makes a particular book what it is. You know, undo the entire literature and really focus on the writing. And to spearhead the entire series, I'm using '50 Shades of Grey'. Unfortunately, my research can never be complete until I read the book and form my own opinion. But honestly? i can live with that.

What the heck am I planning to do? Well, I wish I have a good outline to reveal, but currently, I'm pretty aimless. Well, obviously I'm going back to find all those video reviews, extract the dislike and find out the reason behind the dislike.

Is there an actual reason for this? No, it is NOT to bash '50 Shades of Grey'. I'm doing this because I'm very affected by the idea that '50 Shades of Grey' is being called bad writing, and it came from fanfiction. I really want to know more about this so that I can improve on my own writing. At least, I'm getting this out of my system once and for all.

I'll still be doing my usual 'Afterthoughts' and be uploading my fanfic, but you'll be sure the next few chapters will be awkward. We'll see :)

Oh, and I'm sorry for the confusing writing today. This is the kind of writing you get when you're distracted with work, headache and more. *thumbs up*

No comments:

Post a Comment