Friday, October 21, 2011

Movie Review (2): Real Steel

I just came back from the theatres. I watched the movie "Real Steel" starring Hugh Jackman. Now, Hugh Jackman did an awesome job as Wolverine so of course I want to watch Real Steel..........

Of course not. Truth is, the movie didn't even appeal to me.



no matter how I looked at it, it seemed like some random robot boxing movie. and seriously? robot boxing? still, i went to watch because my friends were raving at how awesome it was.

verdict? yeah it is awesome. it is also true that it is a robot boxing movie :P i shall not dwell too much on details, but it's movie worthwhile to watch.

now of course as usual, i won't bring in random stuff unless it had anything to do with writing. I noticed that in the movie, the script 'cleverly' left out details of the characters. So we leave the cinema having a pretty good idea why the protagonist was initially so messed up, but we weren't told the whole tale.

take for example, hugh jackman apparently had this nemesis who taunts him whereever he goes, saying things like 'i'll beat you up just like back then!' so we kinda know that their vengeance runs deep, yet we don't know the specifics.

i really wonder if it's wise to keep details so vague and open to our interpretation. for myself i try my very best to reveal all information and not be too implicit in describing my story. but it is true that sometimes describing things so explicitly takes the mystery away and dulls the story. so... how much should we imply and how much should we reveal?

decisions, decisions :)

Disclaimer: Despite the official term, the above review is not a wholesome and fully critical one. The blog entry merely reviews and reflects the performance on based on story writing and other literary elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment